Thursday, January 17, 2013

The One With a Gift Card

Starbucks.

The go to destination for first dates when it comes to online dating.
That way, if you actually do end up together, 
you can just say "We met at a coffee shop!"

It's almost like you're telling the truth without revealing 
the embarrassment that is resorting to online dating.
Although, it doesn't seem as much of an embarrassment these days 
since so many people are trying it out.

But if you talk to my roommates boyfriend, 
he disagrees and still goes with the story that they met at a coffee shop...
a year ago.

Well, I have gone out and survived my first date!
But before we met up in person,
we went through the whole awkward messaging phase to
get to know each other.

He first asked me what I wanted to do when we met up.
I responded with "I am fine with anything."

He responded with-
"So, candle light nachos and red wine it is. That or miniature golf, I love things that are mini, except miniature ponies, they look funny."

If you read this blog, then you know how much I love mini golf, 
so of course I said-

"Mini golf is one of my favs but I'm kind of competitive....
and mini ponies are great! So cute."

Date: "Well it's a good thing you're competitive because I was in line to go pro until i had a terrible mini golfing accident that ruined my chances at the mini golf world championships. I still play for fun though."

Either way, we did not go mini golfing...sad day
But we did hit up the ever so popular Starbucks and grabbed a coffee.
Being the gentleman that he was, he paid for me...kinda?


"I've got a Starbucks gift card with your name on it!"

Now, does that really count as him paying?
I mean, it does the same thing as money,
just restricted to one place...
And he was spending on me, so I'll take it as counting!

We grabbed our coffee and sat down to talk
and of course he just had to tell a joke about cats.

Date: "You know why there are all of these cat videos online?"
"Why?"
"Cause people with dogs actually get outside!"

More of a fact than a joke...
but I guess it was cute.

And I guess he found me cute too! Kind of...

Date: "You're kinda cute, I am sure a bunch of creepers message you."

I should have said, "Yeah! You were the worst!"
But instead, I laughed and he changed the subject to tattoos.
He asked if I had any and I said yes and for him to guess.
He actually guessed correctly and his reasoning for it was-

Date: "I have x-ray vision."
"That's creepy..."
Date: "What would you do if it was true?"
"I guess I would not really have control over it..."

So, he may or may not have x-ray vision.
Still didn't put that one to rest 
but overall it was a nice time with only a few awkward moments.

As we left, he yelled across the parking lot-
"I'm going to call you."

And being the little beezy that I am, I yelled-
"We will see if I answer!"
No wonder I'm single.

But he said he would call and he did!
A man of his word which I think we can all respect and appreciate.
And then the call led to texting...and harassment? 

Date: "I'll make sure to harass you until you let me take you out on a real date ;)"

"Oh goodness. Can't wait for the harassment!"

"Oh you'll love it. Just wait for the phone calls at 3am with nothing but heavy breathing on the other end..."

"Oh no"

"And that's probably enough facetious humor for tonight."

Ya think?!
He was doing so well and then he had to go all Scary Movie on me.
But hey, who knows?
I'm sure he has a gift card to some awesome restaurant with my name on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment