Sunday, January 20, 2013

The One Who Needs Online Dating Advice

Online dating.

A place where you message strangers to try and find a match.
But is that even possible when you have not met them?
I personally think it depends on the conversations you have.

And all online conversations have one thing in common-
the initial message...

Now, this can either make or break you.
The talent of creating an interesting message 
yet avoiding creepiness is a talent not many possess unfortunately.
Even myself!

I have no idea how the hell to start up an online conversation!
Thankfully, the guys usually step up to the plate and 
attempt the initial connection.
Unfortunately, as hard as they try, it is a no go the majority of the time.

Yes, it is hard to jump in and put yourself out there
but there are some things you may want to avoid 
to increase your chances of a response.

Advice #1: 
Choose an appropriate username

The username is one of the first impressions you give with your online profile.
Due to the lack of true identity, all you have is your username to go off of 
until you feel comfortable enough to reveal your real name. 


Here is a name you may want to avoid using-

Mega_Choad: "hi"

Sadly before I was able to message Mega_Choad back, 
he deleted or disabled his profile

Another name you may want to avoid would be one with profanity in it-

drummerfuck: "Don't be shocked but I'm the god of sarcasm...
Yeah, I know, it's impressive." 

Me:  "Nice user name..."

drummerfuck: "Sorry if you don't like it but I like it. It's kind of like when old men 
call themselves old fucks..."

Again, sadly he deleted or disabled his profile before 
we could get any other conversation going.

Advice #2:
Don't send a long winded message the first time around

Sure, it is great to lay it all out there so the person knows exactly 
what they are getting themselves into, 
but sometimes it is best to have multiple conversations 
instead of just one long one.


FeltToast: *This was 3 paragraphs long, so I will just give you excerpts*
"You have a personality and character that didn't come out of a play-doh 
press machine..."
"Shit, that was suppose to be quick, and there's still so much more I want to say."
"I am sure I'm just a pebble on the beach of your inbox..."

Advice #3:
Try not to talk about appearances during the first message 

While most people are not willing to admit that appearances matter,
I believe that you at least need to be attracted to one another.
Thankfully, attraction comes in all shapes and sizes which is what makes love great!

Now, I am a short person but that does not mean 
I like it to be the initial conversation with a guy... 


sisepod"Must say that it is better to be vertically challenged than horizontally. You wouldn't have any issues with many of the homes from centuries ago."



ChrisMcC_B"Vertically challenged people give me the most entertainment. Dwarf tossing and other activities make my days go by with much merriment."


Advice #4:
If all else fails, resort to Leonardo DiCaprio

If the persons profile is not giving you anything to work with but 
you have a desire to message them, why not throw in a little Leo?


Notebook2be: "I don't know really what to write, you made me lost for words lol pretty much if you were on the titanic and I got to save someone, I would choose you on the condition you get to know me :)"

He obviously knew the way to my heart- Leo.
Not sure where this one is going or why I would ever be on the Titanic 
considering I would only be there for Leo but hey, ya never know...

So try to take this advice in, put yourself out there and 
don't always wait for someone else to message you.
If you don't try, nothing is going to happen!

Cheers!


*Names have been slightly changed to protect the individuals online identity*

No comments:

Post a Comment