Thursday, April 11, 2013

Relation-Shit Special: Is Social Media Stalking the New First Date?

I am pleased to announce that someone actually enjoys my writing!
And of course it would be a dating website...
Either way, someone not related to me is reading and I appreciate it!

An online dating site called Smarter Dating contacted me via twitter 
and asked if I would write an article for their blog pertaining to dating.

How could I say no to that?!
I love writing, I love dating (shocking, I know) and I love social media!
When ya mix all of those together to create a blog post for an online dating site, 
you just know dreams really do come true. 


So here it is!

(Check out the actual post here) 



Is Social Media Stalking the New First Date?

By Alison S.



I messaged him on Facebook, he followed me on Instagram, I subscribed to his YouTube page, he friended me on Facebook, I followed him on Twitter and then he texted me. All of this just to stalk one another only to find out he has a girlfriend. Why go through the trouble of getting to know the social media side of someone when that’s just who they want you to think they are?



Unless you consider FBO friendships to be the real deal then this guy and I are social media BFF’s! Hell, we are practically internet married with all of the commitment and time we spent friending, subscribing and following each other. So why is social media the go to medium when it comes to meeting people these days? It’s simple; you can investigate before you get into anything!



Before the internet and cell phones, yes- that time did exist, people actually met face to face! But now everyone (including me) hides behind computer screens and smart phones. Online dating is a perfect example- I recently got into the online dating scene and it’s a love/hate relationship. I love the fact that I can check out their grammar, what they’re interested in and their “details” i.e. how tall they are, if they smoke or whether or not they want kids. All things you could find out by actually meeting them, but instead you can do it without the awkward back and forth questions. You can go through a list of guys until you find your “perfect match.” But are they really your “perfect match” or just the best sounding option?



I have found out that it’s not all about what you think you want and who would be the best option as a mate, because I have had some great contenders- such as my secure firefighter that has strong career goals, a house, a dog and even a boat! Total package right? Maybe for someone, just not for me. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have the total package in a significant other, but you need to find someone that makes you better not just the one that comes off better on paper.



It is a rare find, but they do exist. I found one once but he didn’t know what he wanted to do with his life, had zero saved for his future, and was afraid of growing up. For most girls this not an ideal match, but the fact that he made me a better person than I ever thought I could be, I don’t think I could ever stop loving him. Will we ever be together again? Who knows, but until then- online dating, I’m here to stay!

1 comment:

  1. You might want to check it out a minor but relevant to online dating
    http://blog.freakin-out.com/en/before-online-dating-infographic/

    ReplyDelete