Sunday, June 24, 2012

The One I Met At a Wedding

 I'm at that age where people I went to high school with 
are getting married. 

It kinda freaks me out
considering I am so far from that stage in my life. 

A little more than a year ago, 
one of my good friends from high school, Joel, took the plunge into married life 
and I was lucky enough to be invited to the special occasion. 

Now, I have been friends with Joel for 8 years
and he has seen my lack of expertise when it comes to guys. 

So, the great friend that he is, 
took it upon himself to ATTEMPT to set me up with one of his Marine groomsmen. 

Yes, it was a military wedding.
Yes, there were a gaggle of men in uniform.
And yes, they were all pretty attractive. 

Perfect setting right?

You would think so, but Joel has seen one too many episodes of 
"How I Met Your Mother" and decided to play a little game 
called "Haaaaaave you met Ali?"

Now in the show, it is call "Haaaaaave you met Ted." 
Obviously, we needed to change the name.

Here is a little video to give you an idea of what I was about to be put through-
 


Joel, who was so happy and excited to be married that day 
to his high school sweetheart, 
decided he needed to share the wealth of love.

While I was sitting at my table during the reception, he came up to me-

"Hey Ali. So whats the deal with the guys in your life?"

"Well, I'm single....so nothing is up with them."

"Perfect, one of the guys in my wedding party is single, good looking and in the Marines."

"Why have you not hooked us up Joel?!?!"
Mind you, this was said in a sarcastic tone.

Joel looks up at his groomsman across the room and 
yelled for him to come over.
 Begging him to stop in fear of the totally embarrassment that was about to occur,
the man was already on his way over. 

He walked up to us with a confused look on his face and Joel said, 
"Haaaaaave you met Ali?" 
and then books it to the next table 
leaving me and this guy I just met alone.
 Standing there. 
Very confused. 

How do I respond? 
"So how do you know Joel?"

The conversation lasted barely a few minutes and 
then we awkwardly parted ways. 

As you can guess, nothing happened with us
BUT, I hear he is still single...still hope?

So, thank you Joel- For attempting to introduce me to a guy 
while embarrassing me at the same time. 
Not too hard to do but, it taught me to never trust you 
to introduce me to a potential date again...

No comments:

Post a Comment